Re: Fix base attachments for slurs at linebreaks

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Fix base attachments for slurs at linebreaks
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:30:14 -0700

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/46
> File lily/phrasing-slur-engraver.cc (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/46#newcode147
> Line 147: if (!g->internal_has_interface (ly_symbol2scm
> ("span-bar-interface")))
> this will work in some cases, but is specific to the ordering of the
> prefatory material and the existence of the barline.  It would better to
> catch an object that has references to all of the breakable items.
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/48
> File lily/slur-scoring.cc (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/48#newcode411
> Line 411: }
> fold this code - left and right are symmetric.
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/48#newcode577
> Line 577: x = (d == LEFT) ? (x + 0.25) : (x - 0.25);
> dont use conditional
>
>  x += -d * 0.25;
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/49
> File lily/slur.cc (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/109071/diff/39/49#newcode197
> Line 197: - Is there a better way to accomplish this?
> I think you should first make a test case that contains all combinations
> of key, slur, clef, barline etc. at linebreaks, and go from there -
> hardcoding bar lines here seems too limited

Thanks for your review, Han-Wen.

I need to rethink my whole strategy for fixing the slur endpoints.

It seems that I should not be searching through "encompass-objects",
since these objects are just used to determine the middle two control
points.  I also don't need to acknowledge bar-line-interface, since
this only has an effect when 'avoid-slur is set, but 'avoid-slur is
not set for BarLine.

I'm thinking of adding a new grob object, "boundary-objects", to use
instead; this would contain all breakable objects we want to avoid at
line breaks.  I could then traverse this set of objects to find the
correct x-coordinates for slur endpoints.

Thanks,
Patrick