Re: defining make vars

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: defining make vars
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:17:49 +0200

Op dinsdag 08-09-2009 om 08:53 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
Percival:
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 09:36:22AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Guys!  What happened to grep?
>
> I had honestly completely forgotten that there was a make/ dir;
>I'd been looking in stepmake/ and Documentation/.

Uhuh... how do you run grep then?  If you know about

   grep ... $(git ls-files)

you do not have to know about files/directories [much easier
than the old grep $(find . -type f | grep -Ev 'out/|out-www')]?

> I'd like to double-check this

You know, there's a tool for that, try

    grep gloss $(git ls-files python scripts)
    grep Documentation/ $(git ls-files python scripts)

> , since I'm manifestly not
> comfortable with the build system, and we all tend to get quite
> sarcastic when discussing it.  (which is great and funny as long
> as you understand exactly when it's sarcasm and when it's not
> sarcasm.  :)

btw, this has little or nothing to do with the stepmake build
system.  there is no good reason for hardcoding these things.

> I propose to extend /VERSION to include:
> STABLE_VERSION
> DEVEL_VERSION

You cannot do that!?
Also, is there ever any time that DEVEL_VERSION != VERSION?
I suppose that we need STABLE_VERSION for producing the
web site -- both the old lily-web and GUB scripts have/share
code for deriving those from lilypond.org.

Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org