Re: Overview of copyright issues + Debian

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues + Debian
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:39:31 +0100

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:07:06PM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <address@hidden>, Reinhold
> Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes
>> ... So we'll have the same problem again in some years... By then it will be
>> even harder tracking down all contributors, who submitted a patch years
>> ago...
>>
> Hopefully we won't. Hopefully contributors will use the "or later"
> version.

Oops, in my excitement over my *awesome* comic idea, I forgot the
serious answer.

One option would be to ask contributors to assign their copyright
to a LilyPond Foundation, under the assumption that this
foundation would choose the best license for LilyPond.
Potentially even a non-GPL license, if a nicer license with
similar terms comes along.  This would avoid the relicensing
issue.

Of course, this plan is also weak against the "assassinate all
members of the (lilypond) foundation" plot.

Cheers,
- Graham "maybe I should stop watching spy thrillers" Percival