Re: Overview of copyright issues

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:28:11 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden> writes
Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
Aarrgghh.

The snippets are not public domain, unless the author put them there.
The *music* may be public domain, but the *arrangement* is copyright
whoever wrote the lilypond code (unless you make the argument that the
snippet is too small to qualify for copyright).

The snippets are taken from the LSR and a condition of submission to the
LSR is that you consign your work to the public domain (and that you
have the right to do so).  I know, because I submitted a couple of
snippets to the LSR and they later made it into the Lilypond docs'
selection of snippets.

What happens if you're German :-)

(I don't know, but there's been a fair bit of discussion, on and off, on debian legal as to whether it is even *possible* for some people to consign their work to the public domain - the *law* apparently says they *can't*)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden