Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:14:27 +0100

Le vendredi 06 novembre 2009 à 18:54 +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen a écrit :
> Op vrijdag 06-11-2009 om 17:44 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Graham
> Percival:
> >   lilypond.org/download.html
> >   lilypond.org/bug-reports.html
>
> I would have to think about whether or not to veto this.  Han-Wen?

Given my recent participation in LilyPond development, I don't feel like
I can veto anything, but if I could I would, for the reason given below.

> > however, given all the problems I'm having (after two hours, I
> > still can't build the docs in a different location than out-www/
> > ), I'm sorely tempted to use this solution.  Then we'd end up with
> > urls like
> >   lilypond.org/web/download.html
> >   lilypond.org/web/bug-reports.html
> >   lilypond.org/learning/index.html
> >   lilypond.org/notation/index.html
> > which isn't the end of the world.
>
> Much better, but I think learning/ and notation/ should be either
> inside web/, or inside doc/v2.xx -- whatever they contain.

I warmly, highly and definitely second doc/v2.xx (first value of xx will
be 14), which is clearer than having stable docs at toplevel or in /web,
and which doesn't require the release manager to remember to move docs
to doc/v.xx before releasing a new stable branch -- oh yes, he can
always add this task to the long to-do list for a new stable release,
but there will be significantly fewer misleaded users if we don't have
stable docs at toplevel -- think on all users that wait little time or
even sometimes a while before upgrading to the newest stable branch.

> > Granted, we don't want (or do we?) files like lilypond-web.pdf or
> > lilypond-web.info
>
> Why not?

+1

Best,