Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:56:39 +0000

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 02:28:44PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> I hope this hasn't come across as defensive.  I'm sincerely trying to help.

To further this point: almost a year ago, I wanted to start a
group to train new programmers for bug-fixing and new features
(the "Frogs").  I asked for a volunteer to run it.  I looked at
all the developers, estimating their ability, amount of free time,
reliability, and ability to mentor.
(with quite rough estimates)

Of course, I didn't see anybody suitable.

Some people had knowledge but no time; others had time but little
knowledge.  After considering a bit more, I decided that Carl was
the best bet.  He'd written two patches (I think) which, after
much debate and delay for indentation, had gotten accepted.  He
had worked on the documentation during the Grand Documentation
Project, and was a very good worker.

So instead of asking for volunteers in general, I asked Carl
directly.  He refused, of course -- he didn't know enough.  So I
asked him again.  Again he refused.

Then I dug out the best emotional blackmail I could find, pointing
out the lack of other people, concerns over the long-term
development, appealing to his better nature, etc.  I used every
dirty trick I could think of, to try to get him to take the job.
I'm not proud of doing this, but I told myself that the ends
justified the means.

He finally caved and agreed to run the Frogs.

So when I say that he's the best person for the job, I mean it.
It's not that he's the only person qualified for the job... to be
honest, he's *not* qualified.  That's not an insult -- rather,
it's an extra compliment to his work.  Despite being not
qualified, he's trying his best to help lilypond, and I think that
should be applauded.