Re: Issue #768 - chord repetition shortcut: patch for review

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue #768 - chord repetition shortcut: patch for review
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:33:55 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup schrieb:
>>>
> This is great!
>>> I've chosed arbitrary defaults, which may be changed:
>>> - the shortcut is `q';
>>> - the function copying the previous chord only copies the chord pitches,
>>> and removes all other decorations.
>>> Both are customizable, but a sensible default from the beginning may be
>>> preferable.
>>>

>> A naive question:
>>
>> Could it be an option to make <c e g>4*8 do the obvious thing?  Or even
>> { <c e g>4 }*8 ?
>>
>> That would be so much more natural.  The first already does something,
>> but not something which I would call useful.  The second bombs out.
>>
>> In contrast, q feels rather hackish.
>>
> There was a *long* thread some months ago about this, see for example
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-04/msg00160.html

Sorry, I've read this thread, but it does not discuss *8 at all.  And I
don't understand what sense the current behavior of <c e g>4*8 makes.

Changing this would just make * behave more predictable AFAICS.

> <c e g>4  q  q  q
>
> is visually easier to catch (at least for me) than
>
> <c e g>4*4
>
> because when I sketch some ideas down onto a piece of paper, I use
> some signs
> for placeholders when the same chord appears consecutively,
> like
>
> C-7 / / /
>
> (not to propose the '/' as a better choice instead of 'q'!)
>
> and not C-7*4 (or even C-28 ;-)

But *4 is _logical_.  You can guess what it does without looking it up
in the manual.

In fact, I was quite surprised at what <c e g>4*4 does currently.  Makes
no sense to me.  Can't imagine what it would be good for.