Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:17:59 +0000

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 08:00:14PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le jeudi 12 novembre 2009 à 18:09 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > > If I understand correctly, the map file for General is currently
> >
> > I think you mean "init file"?
>
> No, the map files are in out-www/xref-maps.  I don't know how you got
> the low-case filenames working without knowing this :-)

Hmm.  Now I'm wondering if I had a half-built doc tree, with the
remains of Jan's "@node lower-case" stuff.  I cleared out
Docuemtnation/out-www/, but I didn't think to touch out/xref-maps.

> > (should we start casting dirty looks at Reinhold and Patrick?
> > They were the people who wrote the original one, so they're in the
> > best position to remove the unneeded code from the new one... but
> > again, I don't believe in blaming / making demands  on people
> > because they helped out in the past)
>
> It will take me dozens of hours to understand Texi2thml init scripts
> well and then a few extra hours to do the planned
> changes/bugfixe/cleanups.

As it happens, I almost finished this task while at a conference
earlier this week.  I'll take care of this.

> I'm not making any demand, I'm just
> complaining about the time and effort I will have to spend for this.
> Anyway, I don't understand well this diatribe here: I never suspected
> you of casting any dirty look when you were complaining about the build
> system complicatedness (or whatever the maoing correct term in English
> is).

Oh, I definitely *have* been casting dirty looks.  At pretty much
everybody *apart from* the lilypond-texi2html people... I don't
like perl, but they didn't have any choice about that.  But this
file is excellently documented.

> >   But I think everybody
> > has seriously underestimated both the amount, and importance, of
> > these basic "maintenance" tasks.
>
> This is well said.

Instead of doing texi2html init files, could you check that the
translation infrastructure is working?  In particular,
- we now have web.texi
- web.texi now goes into web/
- index.html.in just redirects to web/

This *should* make everything much easier -- all manuals are
split, all manuals are in separate directories, etc.  I *think*
that I've un-hacked the relevant translation stuff, but I'm not
certain about that.

Could you check this stuff, maybe translate one sentence on half a
dozen nodes inside Documentation/fr/web/*.itexi for testing, etc
etc ?

I don't really know where we stand on waf; I've spent 20 hours so
far, and I'm not enthusiastic.  But I definitely think we should
get the stepmake system working again, with translations.  waf
isn't going to be ready before 2.14, and in any case I want people
to be translating web.texi ASAP.