Re: What's the deal with the module system?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's the deal with the module system?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:16:51 +0100

> I think a better solution would be to add a warning to the configure
> script if texi2html is greater than 1.82.  I don't know if autoconf
> can check if a version number is too high, though.  For that matter, I
> don't even know how to write a normal "is it high enough" autoconf
> check.
>
> If you're familiar with autoconf, this would be very nice patch to
> submit.

autoconf _did_ warn about the texi2html version, but did not point out
consequences.

I really think that triggering the error should be connected with giving
the requisite information.

>> I have a hard time finding out just _what_ will be helpful.
>
> Small patches that work?  Not necessarily things directly related to
> your accordion stuff, since that sounds very complicated, but small
> patches that fix bugs in the tracker?

If there is no way to ever get to the state where solving my problems
with Lilypond becomes feasible, it is rather pointless solving problems
in unrelated areas.  When I come back to the area I need to work on, I
won't have an inkling of a clue more about how to tackle what I have to
do _there_.

It's sort of like the joke with the drunk searching for his key under a
lantern.  A passersby helping him without any success finally asks him
"Are you sure you lost your key here?" "No, way over there, but it is
really dirty there and the light's better over here".

> As more and more of these bug-fixing patches get accepted, you'll
> learn more and more about lilypond, and can hopefully write some docs
> to explain what you've learned.

What is in it for me?