Re: Alternative music font

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Alternative music font
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:27:27 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke-list <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> Op maandag 19-10-2009 om 15:33 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Simon
> Tatham:
>
> > It's interesting that you should mention that: that actually reminds
> > me of one of my specific issues with Feta, namely that the curved
> > centre line of its treble clef _does_ make it look to me as if it's
> > leaning over backwards. Gonville's straight-backed version feels
> > much more balanced to me.
>
> That would be a bug.  How many degrees would you need to rotate it to
> get it straight, in your opinion?

Thanks to the great work on the SVG backend, I was able to do a test.

I rotated the clef by 1, 2.5, and 5 degrees.

Surprisingly, I could see small differences.  I'd think somewhere
between 1 and 2.5 degrees would be about right.  I like the 2.5 degrees
best at the top of the clef, but I think the tail needs to be adjusted
a little bit to look right at 2.5 degrees.

Even the 1 degree rotation appears better balanced IMO.

Thanks,

Carl