CG improvements-collector position (was: [frogs] Frog's Lament)

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: CG improvements-collector position (was: [frogs] Frog's Lament)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:25:00 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
Despite my agreements to both paragraphs above, I agree more with
the first than the second.  Namely, I don't see the point of
keeping a list of stuff to add to the docs; that's a recipe for
not getting anything done.

I think that can depend on a particular person's work habits. I won't dispute that making lists often serves as a substitute for actual work; other times, however list-making can serve as a catalyst. I know that I work much better when I have a list of tasks, divided into manageable-sized portions, that I can tick off as I get work done. Many "life hacking" self-help gurus also suggest such strategies (such as zenhabits.net's "Most Important Tasks" for each day).

Add stuff directly to the CG.  If you really can't figure out what
somebody talking about, just add something like
-----
Han-Wen wrote something about contexts and accessing property
data?  @uref{http://lilypond-user-mailist/01234123.html}
-----

to the docs.  But get it into the actual docs, not yet another
random webpage or issue list.

The problem I see here is that there will be many times when the content of the documentation improvement isn't the only issue - rather, there is a question as to what part of the CG is the appropriate place (maybe the appropriate section isn't even written or outlined yet) - or at times the CG isn't the appropriate place at all (perhaps code comments in some cases, etc.).

The process of deciding on the appropriate place for the content, and then writing it, takes time - not a lot for each incident, but enough that each issue can't be addressed immediately. Therefore, the issues would start piling up in whatever personal tracking method I use (in the absence of a public issue tracker, I'd probably just create a "CG TODO" IMAP folder). Why not make such a list public to give others the opportunity to contribute?

Here's the crux of my argument: I'm offering my time in a way that I think will be beneficial to LP. In the worst outcome - my fading away after contributing nothing other than another list of TODO's (not going to happen, but I understand that you don't know me well enough to believe me) - nothing will have been lost, and no Jan- or Han-Wen-hours - LP's most valuable assets - will have been wasted.

-Chris