Re: PATCH: Refactor script-column.cc for improved reading and fewer line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PATCH: Refactor script-column.cc for improved reading and fewer lines
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:15:30 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Friday, December 04, 2009 6:53 PM
>
>> On 12/4/09 9:24 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>>> Could you describe in simple words what the behavior is supposed to
>>> achieve?  If you do that, I promise to submit some simple code that
>>> does
>>> that.
>>>

>> Take three text_scripts, all with outside_staff_priority of 450, and
>> with
>> script_priorities of 201, 202, 203.
>>
>> Convert them to three text_scripts with outside_staff_priorities of
>> 450,
>> 451, 452, so that the script_priority is moved to outside_staff
>> priority.
>
> What would happen if there was a TextScript at the same
> moment with an 'outside-staff-priority of 451, set by
> the user?

Before picking the particular algorithm: I have had my trouble following
the previous discussion.  To summarize what I glean from the code:

script_priority: input property for the function.  The output lists
shall have non-descending(?) values of script_priority.  This is
achieved by a stable sort at the start.

outside_staff_priority: optional input property, required output
property.  Has no influence on the order of output.  Resulting
outside_staff_priority shall be non-descending.  Previously specified
values of outside_staff_priority are taken into account.

Note that if outside_staff_priority has no influence on the sort order,
and we want to get a non-descending sequence of outside_staff_priority,
this implies that most preexisting values of outside_staff_priority have
to be trashed.

Unless I don't understand something.  Well, I certainly don't, but that
does not mean that it is relevant.