Re: severe chord repetition problem

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: severe chord repetition problem
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:17:45 +0100

Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
I was also thinking about that:
Should the chord repetition function be enabled by default, or should
the interested user write e.g. \include "chord-repetititon-init.ly" ?

The call to a memorization function for every chords does not look like
a good idea wrt performances.

I don't know how much overhead that means. My intuition says it's not that bad, since it does not at all affect the positioning and layout, which AFAIK takes the lion's share of LilyPond's runtime. But it's really just intuition...

I suppose when this shortcut is polished, it will become part of the basic syntax in no time, so it should be as easily accessible as possible. That's a different thing than, e.g., the #'keep-inside-line property of NonMusicalPaperColumn, since it affects whether a file will compile at all, not just how it looks like. If we allow the user to override the semantics of q, we could as well forbid it's use before "booting" it up, though - it's very similar to the choice of input note names. A sensible default could also be the "don't copy anything and throw an error on use"-policy.

In any case, I'd rather not suggest an \include "..." syntax, considering the recent discussion about \include "language.ly" and the problem w.r.t. jail/safe mode.