Re: the guide for contributors, or the guide for a contributor?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: the guide for contributors, or the guide for a contributor?
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 21:32:31 -0000

From: <address@hidden> Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:28 PM

I was amused by the recent "punctuation fix" commit: [...]

BTW, may I remind to have TWO spaces after a full stop, exclamation
mark and question mark at the end of a sentence.

That is the practice I recall from my time typing others doctoral thesi. Sadly it is not the norm for html or many modern text-setting applications which ruthlessly trim spaces they deem superfluous. I have even seen its
use flagged as an error in some cases.

Indeed, but here I believe Werner was talking about entering
text in editors which are normally viewed in a monospaced
font, rather similar to typing theses on mechanical typewriters.
Typists in the UK were certainly trained to do that in the 60's
and 70's, before the advent of word processors and proportional
fonts.  The three of us, at least, seem to be agreement on this
point :)

Trevor