Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 07:09:11 +0000

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:45:58PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> I don't know if there's an easy solution to this, but when I
> run `make check', CPU1 runs at or near 100% for about 6
> minutes while the other 3 cores sit idly by (for the most
> part).

> Is there a way to improve this?  I don't want to put too
> much extra stress on CPU1 if I run `make check' alot.  Or am
> I being paranoid?

That's not an issue; the only issue is that if it ran in parallel,
the job would be done about 3.5 times as fast.

Nobody wants to look at the current build system, and our work on
the next build system has halted because nobody's intersted.  If
you want to see the mess, search for "waf" on this list.