Re: why recommend \relative to take a "c"?

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: why recommend \relative to take a "c"?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:18:12 +0000

2009/12/15 Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:

> Hm, I forgot about that. We already encountered the same problem when
> Reinhold rewrote the \tempo command, for instance.
> *sigh* This is one of those limitations that make me want to bang my
> head against a wall. Do you think this could deserve a feature request
> on the tracker?

There's no harm in adding it, I suppose.  I'm certainly not going to
stick my neck out and declare it impossible, even if I don't have the
faintest idea how it could be implemented. :)

> Well, it's past two hours now so I guess it *does* affect speed after all :)

Heheh, I've been rumbled. ;)

It's by no means negligible when tested with make test-baseline
(though this is slightly artificial, since real-world examples don't
consist of hundreds of snippets with a \relative block.):

4m48 vs 4m21

I'd have to do some more checks though, since I've just done a clean
test-baseline on master which has taken longer than the test patch:
4m53.

Regards,
Neil