Re: improving the CG

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:39:02 -0800 (PST)

Okay...

I'll just show you what I was thinking.  I know this looks
like a lot of work, but most of it would be shuffling stuff
around to have a more logical order of presentation, and a
more organized structure to facilitate referring to
specifics.

Some of it would entail adding text, but I'd be the one
doing it, so the only issue would be if you think it burdens
the reader.  Personally, I don't like it too short and
sweet, because currently I think too much is assumed of the
reader.

I suppose my particular perspective here is as a recent
Windows user compiling LilyPond on Linux.  The clarity I'd
like to bring to this manual shouldn't detract from its
value.  I think I would've been developing a lot sooner if
it had been organized this way, but obviously, share with me
your reactions.

The changes I'd like to make would affect CG 1 and 2 only.
The current CG sections 3-9 (from "Documentation work" to
"Release work") would remain untouched, only the numbering
would change.

I've attached two text files.  The first is a proposed
reorganization of the material in the form of an index (with
current node numbers annotated down the right side).  The
second is my proposal for an `Introduction to LilyPond
development'.  Here's a less detailed version of the index
included in the attachment:

 1. Introduction to LilyPond development
 2. Obtaining a LilyPond repository
    2.1 Starting with Git
    2.2 Initializing Git branches
 3. Developing without compiling
    3.1 Basic procedures
    3.2 Advanced procedures
    3.3 Git on Windows
    3.4 Repository directory structure
    3.5 Other Git documentation
 4. Compiling
    4.1 Installing build dependencies
    4.2 Configuring `make'
    4.3 Compiling LilyPond
    4.4 Tasks requiring a successful compile
    4.5 Concurrent Stable and Development Versions
    4.5 Compiling on Windows
 5. Documentation work
 6. Website work
 7. LSR work