Re: New website: what's the sense of '(main)'?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New website: what's the sense of '(main)'?
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 01:52:11 +0000

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 02:26:06PM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On 2010-01-02, John Mandereau wrote:
> > the new website, I don't understand why it's there: the topmost parent
> > section of the page currently viewed is already reachable from the top
> > bar.  Therefore, I'm for removing it; however, if somebody gives a good
> > reason for keeping it *and* proposes a nicer name for it e.g. "Up to
> > toplevel section (%s)" % the actual name of up section, I'm glad to
> > either implement it if it takes little time.
>
> I think we should remove it.

This was previously discussed in the summer; Jan asked about it.

When you're clicked through a few options in a chapter, you've
been staring at the highlighted second-level TOC changing.  It's
not obvious how to get back to the first page, if you want to see
the overview of pages in that chapter again.  This is a problem in
the old website.

It might be obvious to some people with a CS background and
knowledge of trees, but I remember being confused by this more
than 5 years ago.  And if I can get confused, I'm certain that
other people can get confused.

I'll entertain a renaming (if introduction wasn't already taken,
we could use that; I suppose we could even duplicate the
chapter-name instead of (main)).  I've already asked that the
(main) link be the same color+shading as the top navbar, but
that's a CSS issue and not my responsibility.  But the actual
second-level TOC item itself is staying.