Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:19:09 +0100

Neil Puttock schrieb:
2010/1/8 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:

Yes, the picture in the tracker has one loop missing, but in
all other sources, the sign looked (mainly) as mine.

How do they deal with the segno at the end of a line though?  The
tracker example is aligned as a normal barline (i.e., with the
double-bar at the right edge), but this is going to be tricky to
achieve just for this case using BarLine grobs.
Hmmm - you are right. Is it possible to whiteout this small part
of the barlines?
[...]
Phooey, I don't know if I am able to cope with this...
Generally, I like this sign, because it sticks in the staff lines and
therefore doesn't occupy space above the staff (in comparison
to the normal segno mark), but it seems not to be
used very often.

I agree it's not really worth the bother since it likely to be a niche
symbol; on the other hand, your current implementation represents a
departure from the default behaviour of all the existing barlines: all
of them scale properly (either using 'line-count/'line-positions or
'staff-space).
I am not sure whether a smaller variant (with less loops) even exists in
current scores - perhaps there are people outside with more knowledge of
orchestral pieces. Is there something like a shortened varsegno sign?
I also had the idea to enhance the \repeat command, so one can code
\repeat segno { ... } and lilypond inserts .S and S. instead of ||: and :||

This would be great, and a much better fit for the new segno.

but I don't have a clue (yet) how to cope with the coda, because coda
signs are not barlines, so I'll have to deal with \marks and stuff.

I don't think that would be too difficult, since it's no problem for
an engraver to create more than one type of grob.
So the "\repeat segno" command would change the bar lines accordingly,
and \alternative { { .1. } { .2. } } should handle the coda constructs, right?
Ideally, there should be some kind of user interface to handle the different
segno possibilities, like

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=198

but with a more generic, "lilypondish" approach.

Greetings

Marc