Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:09:07 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:03 AM

Graham Percival wrote:

I think a fair chunk of it will be wasted effort, but it's
*your* effort to waste.

Geez, Graham, sometimes I wish you *would* mince a few words
from time to time!  I don't think it's a waste at all.  I
remember wasting so much time just trying to figure out how
to exit the commit message without killing the whole shell:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-05/msg00365.html

And then half a year later, Trevor D. went through the exact same
thing:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-12/msg00011.html

*That's* where the waste is.  The intent of my revisions is
to prevent these stupid traps for the next generation of
contributors.  Get them up and running as painlessly as
possible.

Exactly my opinion too ...

That said, a few more comments: - if you're going to go to
all this effort, please eliminate the "git on windows"
section -- for each portion of the (unix-aimed) docs, just
dump the relevant windows instructions on the bottom of
the page.

I'm considering it.  This is still a work-in-progress.

... and that's why this section on git gui and gitk are
important.  They make using git virtually pain-free.

..."here's how to paste to a git bash window" (I don't
remember if _that_ was hard, but cutting&pasting to/from a
cygwin window is a nightmare!)

Now that I'm back home I don't have access to a Schmindows
machine, so I forget the details.  But I do remember it
being a pain.  Something like

1) Right-click on the title-bar of the Git Bash window
2) Select Edit > Mark
3) Left-click and drag your selection.
4) Press enter to copy it to the clipboard.

Ugh.  Something terrible like that.  Trevor, if you have
some time, could you write a line or two about this sort of
thing?

I've never had to to do it, as I rarely use
the git bash command line for git work.  I
can do virtually everything in git gui or
gitk, which cut and paste normally in both
Windows and Unix.  But I've just tried your
instructions and they work fine cutting from
the git bash shell to a Windows app.  In the
reverse direction you need to right click on
the title-bar and select Edit > Paste.  I don't
use Cygwin, so I don't know if it shares a
clipboard with Windows.

Also, Trevor: changing the editor on Windows with
`git config', ie. without troubling with environment
variables---is it as simple as doing this?

git config --global core.editor wordpad

I never did it - with git gui you never need an
editor.  It has a pane specifically for displaying,
entering and editing commit messages.  It also has
an "Amend Last Commit" button which was the only
form of rebase -i I ever needed.  The old commit
message then reappears in the Commit Message pane.
And I only needed an editor in ubuntu until I
discovered git gui was also available as a unix app.

Oh, maybe a note explaining the directory/ vs. directory\

I seem to recall Git bash fixed those automatically.  Don't
remember.  Trevor?

I've always used / in git bash.  No problem.  I just
tried \ in git bash and it fails.  It seems to treat
it as a null.

p.s. are files that start with a period hidden on Windows
like they are on Unix?

No

Trevor