Re: Release numbers [was Re: CG chapter 2, first draft]

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Release numbers [was Re: CG chapter 2, first draft]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:29:11 +0100

Le mardi 12 janvier 2010 à 14:49 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> For unstable, yes.  But they're not all that cheap for stable -- I
> mean, I'd expect many users to update to a new stable version.  But
> there's absolutely no functional difference between 2.12.3 and the
> hypothetical 2.12.4.  The only difference is in the source, doc, and
> web doc.

This is true, but version numbers (excluding the release number added by
GUB) are not only intended for users: package maintainers may want to
see that the source package changes, which won't happen if you release a
2.12.3-2.  And I wouldn't care about requesting users to update as long
as they know through the release announcement and/or a news item that
only the docs translations change from their point of view.

Best,
John