Re: Getting string events from the music stream

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Getting string events from the music stream
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:47:45 +0000

2010/1/16 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> Now if we didn't find an articulation on the note event, we search through
> the list of tabstring events to find a non-empty tabstring event.  Why are
> we doing this second check?  Is there another way to get a tabstring event
> besides adding a string as an articulation to a note?  Is this code
> redundant, like I think it is?

No.  If you removed it, then string numbers set outside chords would be ignored.

> Actually, it seems to me to be wrong,
> because it loses the registration with the note event, because nothing makes
> i stay the same as j.

I don't think it needs to; since the events are mapped to the note
events in order, unless a string number articulation gets in the way,
the first note gets the first string number.

<c e g>\1\2\3

-> c\1 e\2 g\3

The following is the exception, but I can't imagine many users mixing
up string numbers this way:

<c\1 e g>\2\3 or <c e\2 g>\1\3

-> c\1 e\2 g\3

Cheers,