Re: GUB buiding from a local source tree?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB buiding from a local source tree?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:19:50 +0000

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:01:24AM -0500, Boris Shingarov wrote:
> But for me the whole thing about GUB is driven by the organizational
> side: as a developer, I am completely happy with the Linux development
> platform, and am much more interested in furthering Lilypond rather than
> trying to deploy it on a platform I don't even use.  But then there is
> the end-users who want to see it on Windows, but then again they want to
> see progress in Lilypond development, and the prospect of losing weeks to
> porting to Windows, makes them want to reconsider their platform
> preferences.

2.13 releases happen approximately every two weeks.  If there's
more development, I'm happy to reduce that to every week.  If
there's a *lot* of development, and no (or few) broken regtests, I
wouldn't mind doing it twice a week.

Granted, this is all based on patches accepted to the main
repository, and such patches need to go through extra scrutiny and
discussion.  If you're doing a lot of rough hacking, without a lot
of thought about code style or unintended side effects, then
releases from master won't help you.  But if you do careful,
quality work, then the extra scrutiny from developers won't be a
big hurdle, and your patches will be accepted into master.  In
that case, you wouldn't need to fuss with GUB at all; I could make
the releases as appropriate, and your collaborators / end-users
could just use the regular 2.13.x mingw versions.