Re: Consistency in \context block formatting

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Consistency in \context block formatting
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:01:16 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:43 PM

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:12:14PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Neil Puttock wrote Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:38 PM

There's nothing in the documentation policy for \context block
formatting,

The patch is being written by James Lowe.

I much prefer the context name to be on the next line (this is how I've always edited snippets), so I'd like to propose the following:

* blocks of code starting with an opening curly brace should be
followed by a newline unless a closing brace is encountered on the
same line, i.e.,

\context { \removeEmptyStaffContext }

\context {
 \Foo
}

I agree.  I didn't like Graham's recent change in the LM either.

???  I deliberately used the LM as the rationale for this -- two
items in fundamental.itely did
 \context {
   \layout {
     \Staff

but *every single* example in tweaks did it the other way.  I
figured that was deliberate.

I'm happy with having a newline there, but please glance over the
LM stuff you wrote, and confirm that you prefer it with a newline.
I'll get James to make the appropriate changes, both to the CG and
LM, but I'd like your explicit approval first.

Well, having just read through the whole of tweaks
I could find only one section, 4.6.2 Style sheets,
which contained the format you adopted.  I did notice
a few other inconsistencies, but pretty well the
whole of tweaks already follows Neil's suggestions.

Incidentally, I didn't write or touch Style sheets.
They were copied in from somewhere else.  But I did
write the examples in fundamental which you changed.

Please ask James to put the newline back, and amend
the style sheets to match.  I think this is much
better.

I'll have a look at the other inconsistencies
I noticed.

Trevor