Re: How to do this correctly?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to do this correctly?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:14:42 -0700

On 1/28/10 12:49 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 1/28/10 7:25 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I think that likely the ambitus engraver would be a good
>>> candidate for reimplementing as a Scheme engraver.  It would appear
>>> reasonably straightforward but not trivially so, and it is one of those
>>> things where augmenting the _code_ and behavior is likely to be better
>>> extensible in Scheme.
>>
>> I think it would be difficult to implement as a Scheme engraver,
>> because there need to be variables stored as part of the context that
>> are modified by different event handlers.  But I could be wrong.  It
>> wouldn't be the first time and is not likely to be the last.
>
> If you aren't wrong know, I hope you'll become so in future.  I think
> that all the interactions of a "standard" engraver doing nothing out of
> the ordinary should be describable in terms of Scheme, even if the
> actual implementation might be C++ for performance reasons.

Well, the ambitus engraver does do something out of the ordinary.  It
watches for all the notes, but doesn't create grobs for any of them.

>> I haven't been able to imagine how the ambitus would (graphically)
>> deal with clef changes.
>
> Two possibilities:
>
> Side by side (works also for ottavation):

Side by side should be readily doable.

Two staffs would require significant change, because currently the ambitus
just sits on the existing staff; a double-staff ambitus would require the
creation of two new staves.  (notice that I mixed my spelling)

HTH,

Carl