Re: Disagree with recent DOC change

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Disagree with recent DOC change
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:45:53 +0000

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:29:48PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> +Even if you are not familiar with git or are not able to compile
> +LilyPond you can still help to narrow down the cause of a regression
> +simply by downloading the binaries of different LilyPond versions
> +and testing them for the regression.
>
> I don't think that this is useful advice since binaries often are
> incompatible with Scheme/Lilypond trees of other versions, and since
> many regressions are not introduced in the binaries.

Trevor meant the GUB packages, which install the "actual binary"
as well as the scheme stuff, fonts, etc.  Knowing that a snippet
worked on our official 2.11.52 package but fails in 2.11.53 is
well within the abilities of users, and as long as they properly
uninstall lilypond between changing versions, it should be a
useful report.