Re: Solution for including a file only once

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Solution for including a file only once
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:39:15 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 11. Februar 2010 18:18:52 schrieb Michael J. O'Donnell:
> For the very short term, I expect that "\includeIfAbsent", or whatever
> we call it, will be most useful if it duplicates the current behavior of
> "\include" as much as possible, except when it does nothing due to a
> and connections to name spaces.

In my view there are two different kinds of include uses:
1) To include package-like .ily files, which define additional functionality.
There many utility functions really might/should be in their own namespace,
but many definitions (and in particular all \header, \paper or \layout blocks)
need to be at toplevel.

2) Included music definitions, where you define parts (or smaller building
blocks, which are used all over the place) of your scores. These definitely
should simply be inserted into the stream without namespaces and the like.

> I will try to insert them into the GLISS
> discussion---I don't know Hans' programming ideology, but I think that
> systems like LilyPond should follow best programming language practice
> as much as possible.

I think it should be as easy and straightforward to use to a non-programmer as
possible, while allowing more complex use without making easy things harder
than necessary for easy things.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886