Re: nice stockhausen excerpt

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: nice stockhausen excerpt
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 02:10:48 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Joseph Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Oh Gawd.  Really?  Where on earth is he still in copyright?

US-printed scores where still illegal in France when I was a student
(that means less than a decade ago). Our teachers had to smuggle these
when they went on holiday in the US...

> Even in the US (90 years after death) copyright should have expired by
> now, no?  Or is the worry that another 10+ year extension will be put in
> place before the decade is out?

In addition to the death of the author, one have to take the editior's
year into account. Debussy might well be legally usable now, but we
certainly do not want to take any chances (let alone *truly*
contemporary composers such as Satie or Ravel, these guys you
definitely don't want to mess with).

Cheers,
Valentin