Re: website translation infrastructure

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website translation infrastructure
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:28:52 +0000

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:13:57PM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2010/3/5 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > texinfo is using Documentation/macros.itexi instead of
> > Documentation/es/macros.itexi.  Try playing with the -I dirs given
> > in website.make.  (lines 89-98)
>
> weblinks.itexi  is being generated only in English, right?

It's being generated by the script in scripts/build/.  I can't
remember what's in it.

> Also, translateNameToUrl(), make_manual_links() and other functions
> hardcode link generation to English strings. I'm starting thinking
> that getting translation to work is still far away from being
> completed.  The script labyrinth is a bit too complex for me, given my
> available time. Still trying, though...

Step 1) isolate the problem.  Run
  python scripts/build/whatever.py > foo.itexi
and look at the results.

If those results aren't what you want, then the problem has been
isolated.  Make a note of what you want the output file to look
like.

Step 2) compare the problem file with any file(s) that do what you
want.  It's not exactly the same as web-post.py, but if you look
at web-post.py you'll see solutions to the same kind of problem.

Step 3) start working on a patch.  Start learning python if
necessary.