Re: all must do a new clone - new git repository with fixed history

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: all must do a new clone - new git repository with fixed history
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:47:43 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 25. März 2010 22:21:27 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> Hi,
>
> The git repository at savannah has been updated, everyone
> should do a fresh clone.
>
> If you haven't already done so, make some aliases
>
>     git config --global
> url.git+ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org/srv/git/.insteadof gnu: git config
> --global url.git://git.savannah.gnu.org/.insteadof gnu-anon:
>
> and then
>
>     mv lilypond lilypond-old # move your old repo away
>     git clone gnu:lilypond
>
> or if you're read only
>
>     git clone gnu-anon:lilypond
>
> Translation for the git-impaired
>
> - if I have no non-pushed commits, do I need to do anything?
>
>     yes, do a fresh clone
>
> - does anything need to happen to branches like dev/waf ?  (again,
>   assuming that we have pushed everything)
>
>     yes, but we did that for you

BUT: You will need to create all local branches again. In particular, for each
branch do:
git checkout --track -b yourbranchname origin/yourbranchname

> - if we tell new contributors to remove their lilypond-git dirs
>   before the changeover, then tell them to run lily-git after the
>   changeover, will it work?
>
>     yes.  contributors, remove you lilypond-git dirs

> If you have non-pushed commits, or non-pushed/published
> branches, you should rebase them yourself.

Rebase is probably the wrong word here, since you need to create patch series
("git format-patch XXX", where you need to manually look up the branch point
XXX in the history), create the branch in the new repository and apply the
patches with "git am 000*.patch").

Also: You'll have to manually set the rietvield issue numbers for each branch
Or better, copy over the corresponding lines from .git/config

Also: Copy over the [user] and [rietveld] sections (if they exist) from
.git/config

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886