Re: %module-public-interface

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: %module-public-interface
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 01:11:03 +0100

Hi Ludovic,

On 30/03/10 22:52, Ludovic � wrote:

Andy Wingo<address@hidden>  writes:

On Tue 30 Mar 2010 22:56, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

I'm pretty sure that the submodule thing can be changed without any
problem. But it seems that the %module-public-interface is used
explicitly, at least by texmacs and lilypond.

How do they use it?

Linking to the evil empire:

Lilypond does:

       mod = scm_call_0 (maker);
       scm_module_define (mod, ly_symbol2scm ("%module-public-interface"),

Solution: do something like:

   scm_set_module_public_interface_x (mod, mod);
   scm_module_define (mod, ly_symbol2scm ("%module-public-interface"),

(We just need to add that function.)

TeXmacs does:
And we could add a ‘public-interface’ slot to ‘module-type’ and have
‘module-public-interface’ and ‘set-module-public-interface!’ refer to
it; for backward compatibility we’d also initialize the
‘%module-public-interface’ binding.  How does it sound?

Actually the trick wouldn’t work in cases where the
‘%module-public-interface’ binding is mutated, as with Lilypond.

Given this and the above examples, I’d suggest dropping that binding
completely and sending patches to the Lilypond/TeXmacs people.

> What do you think?

If you do add scm_set_module_public_interface_x, could you back-port it to Guile V1.8.6 and V1.8.7?

Those are the lowest versions of Guile the upcoming stable release of Lilypond will support.

Ian Hulin