Re: web translation oddities

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:15:15 +0100

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 11:51:24AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op zaterdag 03-04-2010 om 09:04 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> Percival:
> > If you want to finish up the nl translations, modify
> > create-weblinks-itexi.py (just the translations dictionary, i.e.
> > copy lines 23-49, replace the 'es' with 'nl', and translate all
> > the strings), then add 'nl' back to website.make and start fixing
> > warnings.
>
> Okay, done.  Wondering about
>
>     # keep the spaces!
>
> though, in general, we don't want any formatting in translation
> strings.

If you look at where those translations are being called from the
code, you'll see that it's already a complete mess, and I didn't
want to screw around with another +' ' in there.

> Also, wtf, these can (should!) be filled-in by running
>
>    grep -nH -B1 translationof Documentation/LANG/web/*
>
> that should be simple in python... But I'm hesitant to "fix" that.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be doing.  Umm... trying
to guess, it looks for "translationof" to fill in some
translations?  So... we have nodes called
" (did not exist in 2.12)" or " (split HTML)" ?

> Duplication bad, duplication bad, duplication bad? ;-)

? ;-)

> > Two search+replaces in old-news.itexi should take care of 99% of
> > those warnings.
>
> Hmm, I'm disabling nl for now, could you tell me what warnings
> are, and how/why they should be fixed?

Umm, dude?  You can't spot these for yourself?

** Unknown command address@hidden</code>' (left as is)
   (four times)
** Unknown command address@hidden</code>' (left as is)
   (four times again... hmm, maybe this one isn't a translation
problem?  oh, and it goes 4 times yet again)

*** Undefined node `Manuals' in @ref (in
/home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/community.itexi l.
419 in @divEnd)

*** Undefined node `Changes' in @ref (in
/home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/news.itexi l. 122)
*** Undefined node `Old downloads' in @ref (in
/home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/news.itexi l. 194 in
@newsEnd)
   (these messages are repeated, other than the line numbers, 407
times!)

> > The other item is to either convince everybody that we can/should
> > move to the new website before 2.14 is out, or else get 2.14 out
> > sooner.
>
> Well, that's easy: no-one is doing any work while the new
> web site is not live.

Completely incorrect.  Francisco has been translating stuff.  I've
been tweaking the translation infrastructure in response to his
bug reports; it was only 3 days ago that I thought I was finished.
I fixed another small bug last night.

Colin Campbell is planning some suggestions for the Introduction
chapter.

I'm thinking about another Introduction vs. Community issue.

I've had credible reports that the website is broken in IE 7.0, or
just with IE in compatibility mode, or IE without compatibility
mode, or something.  Is that important?  Before deciding, we
should look at our google analytics to see how many people visit
us IE 7.  I do **not** think that we can just stick our heads in
the sand and say "everybody should use a standard-compliant
browser".  Now, in theory, all it should require is a few CSS
tweaks, or an optional stylesheet... but who's going to work on
that stuff?

Even worse, we're not going to have lots of time to fix any issues
we *don't* yet know about in the next few days or weeks.

Yes, there will come a time where we say "ok, good enough, let's
go live".  Maybe even we'll just do it for 24 or 48 hours, get
feedback, then put the old website back up while we fix other
issues.  But that time is not now.