Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:02:56 +0200

Neil Puttock <address@hidden> writes:

> On 28 April 2010 12:38, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> That's not enough of a distinction to keep it around.  Just let normal
>> music mode accept chords with : notation, and \chordmode is unnecessary
>> and can be deprecated.
>
> How would you distinguish between chords and tremolos?
>
> \notemode { c4:8 } -> two quaver stem tremolo

Ugh.  Did not remember that.

Anyway, here is how I would do this: Chords are much more common than
tremolos, so changing notation for the latter seems like the better
choice.  There is already verbose syntax using \tremolo that can also be
used.

If a shorthand needs to be available, c4/8 might work for it.  I think
(don't quote me on this) that slashes have meaning right now just after
chords in : notation.