Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:12:43 +0100

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:51:59PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 4/29/10 2:42 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> c\chord #'(4 1 3 5)
> >
> > I'm not entirely comfortable about have 4 1.
>
> I'm totally comfortable with #'(4 1 3 5).  I can easily parse that so that
> steps that come before 1 in the list are an octave down from the current
> pitch.

Huh.  I thought 4 1 3 5 was supposed to be a first-inversion
chord, but instead you were thinking of
  F C E G
?  on first glance, that seems like an odd chord, but as a string
player I get nervous when there's only two notes at once, let
alone four.

How would you indicate a highly-separated chord?  Such as
(absolute mode)

  d f' d'' a'''

> I'd prefer, if we need to do something, to do
>
> #'(4, 1 3 5), i.e. use the octave indicators we already have.

Hmm.  I don't know... mixing apostrophies and commas with numbers
seems odd.