Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:18:03 +0100

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 03:02:08PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> OK.  I guess I was looking at this as a step to eliminating the *need* for
> chordmode and deprecating it (as was suggested by David originally).  Of
> course chordmode won't be eliminated until 3.0 (because we're in a syntax
> freeze), but I think that if we want to eliminate anything in 3.0, we'd
> better have some good experience with alternatives, either in 2.13.x or
> 2.15.x.

Yeah, but we won't *know* if we're going to eliminate anything in
3.0 until we've had GLISS.

The plan was already to finish GLISS, then release 2.16.0, then
spend two weeks (or whatever) merging all the syntax changes, then
release 3.0.0.  It would be more work to add new syntax to 2.16.0
and save all the removals for 3.0.0, but if there's a serious
desire[1] for this, I'm happy to support it.

[1] NB: as always, I use a strict definition of "desire", as in
"the amount of effort that somebody is willing to use".  Saying
stuff like "I really wish that we could end world hunger, but I'm
not going to volunteer or donate anything" seems like complete
bunk to me.