Re: Rietveld review

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Rietveld review
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 06:39:26 -0600

On 5/4/10 12:46 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> This is a serious question I'd like to ask you.  If you were the king
>> of LilyPond, what would you establish as the workflow?  I'd really
>> like to hear your opinion.
>
> I'd not prohibit any work flow that can be maintained with single-line
> git commands.  That includes posting patch series (using
> git-format-patch and git-mail) and private and public branches.  There
> are graphical tools for dealing with git branches and commits, there is
> Emacs.  The established development environment for Lilypond already is
> a GNU/Linux machine (even if it is a virtual one), so the usual caveats
> about git workflows on Windows machines don't apply.

For me, a requirement to use Emacs is a much bigger hurdle than the
requirement to sign up for a gmail account.  I don't want to start a flame
war here, because it's not that I dislike Emacs.  It's just that I have 25
years of muscle memory on vi/m, so it comes out my fingers automatically.
I've tried doing the retraining to Emacs, and it doesn't flow for me.

Also, OS/X (BSD) works well as a development environment, at least for me.

Thanks,

Carl