Re: cueDuring question

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: cueDuring question
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 20:10:42 +0200

Am Dienstag, 4. Mai 2010 18:10:42 schrieben Sie:
> I have seen in LilyPond's commits that you seem to have worked on the
> cueDuring system.
[...]
> I thought you could maybe help me again...  ;D
>
> I asked 7 months ago a question on -user about something I wanted to do
> with \cueDuring but it didn't receive answer.  Basically I'd like to
> have the CueVoice DOWN (i.e. the multi-measure rest up) but with the
> stems UP (actually "NEUTRAL") instead of DOWN (as a \voiceTwo).

Yes, I know this problem, in particular if the quoted voice is already quite
low, then stem UP would be okay withouth collisions to the rest shown above...

AFAIK, there is no easy way. The cue substitution (i.e. the sections with cue
notes are replaced by a music expression containing the cue notes and the real
notes) is built in quite deeply: in scm/music-functions.scm, function cue-
substitute, where make-voice-props-set does exactly the same as voiceOne...
You would have to sneak in a \override Stem #'direction = #UP somehow, but
don't see an easy way to do so :(

> Are you the author of the "namedCueDuring" music function?
>   http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=388

Yes, I think I wrote that a long while ago for one of my orchestra scores.

> (actually I don't know how to find the author of a specific snippet)

I don't think there is a way to find out the author (unless you are an LSR
admin...)

> This is great and far better than what can be found in the official
> doc.  Do you know if the cueDuring system is going to be improved
> in a mid(long)term, if somebody has planned to work on it?

Not that I know of.

Cheers,
Reinhold

> PS: How did your presentations at the Linux Audio Conference in
>     Utrecht go over?

They went quite well (although the whole audience comes from an audio
background, so classical music notation is not that interesting to them). The
video recordings of the talks will be made available in the next few weeks.

BTW, Han-Wen made a lasting impression a few years ago at LAC. I talked to a
few people, who remembered him and his talk where he compared the different
flat
signs and how ugly the small differences in other commercial editions are (not
that the audience cared a bit about these differences... After all, they are
mainly audio developers and artists, not music publishers). But his enthusiasm
for his personal passion left a really positive impression.
 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/
 * LilyPond music typesetting software, http://www.lilypond.org/