Re: please add patches to the tracker if they're getting lost

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: please add patches to the tracker if they're getting lost
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 19:22:48 +0100

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Marek Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Graham,
> I would like to ask for some advices concerning tracking of patches:
> 1. Is there an easy way to find out if some patch was pushed?

When I apply a patch, I try to always reply to the same forum that I
saw it (either the public mailing, or privately (in which case you
wouldn't see it anyway)) and say:
"Thanks, pushed / committed / whatever".

I think that most developers to the same thing, but there's no
guarantee of that... of course, there's no guarantee that *I* always
remember, either.

OTOH, if I've forgotten to reply with a "thanks, applied", then I
wouldn't blame you in the slightest for adding a reminder about the
patch to the issue tracker.

So how's this: whenever you see an email about a patch, on any mailing
list, you start keeping track of it.  If you don't see a reply (to the
same mailing list) saying "thanks, applied", or an email from the
author saying "ok, I'll need to rewrite this; I'll get back to you"
(or something like this), add it to the issue tracker.
It's not a problem to clear an opened issue about a patch that was
committed without informing the mailing list; I'd /much/ rather have a
few extra issue numbers being "used up" rather than losing a patch.

> 2. I guess there are some developers who's patches I don't need to follow,
> because they can push patches themselves. Is there a list of them?

No -- if somebody posts a public patch, keep track of it and add it to
the tracker if there's need no activity for a few days.  (what did we
say... 3 days of no activity?)

Even if it's Han-Wen.  (actually, *especially* if it's Han-Wen, since
he patch would probably be something very insightful and useful, so we
don't want to lose it.  :)

> 3. should I track documentation patches as well?

Yes please.  Most of those come to me privately, but please track any
that you see.