Re: Critical issues

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: Critical issues
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:11:18 +0200 (CEST)

Graham:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:06:45AM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > How do one do a regtest?
>
> Regression check; by compiling stuff.
>
> >   8.1 Introduction to regression tests
> >
> >   The regression tests are automatically compiled using special `make'
> >   targets.  The output of the regression tests is also automatically
> >
> > So, what targets?
>
> They might be "make baseline-test", followed by applying a patch,
> followed by "make check", but I'm not certain.  It's explained
> somewhere in Contributing 2.

Ok, found something in "3.6.3 Testing LilyPond" (though nothing in the
chapter on regression tests).

   * Initial test:

          make [-jX]
          make test-baseline
          make [-jX CPU_COUNT=X] check

   * Edit/compile/test cycle:

          _## edit source files, then..._

          make clean                    _## only if needed (see below)_
          make [-jX]                    _## only if needed (see below)_
          make test-redo                _## redo files differing from baseline_
          make [-jX CPU_COUNT=X] check  _## CPU_COUNT here?_

Hmm, the make check seems redundant since test-redo already does it:

$ find . -name GNUmakefile | xargs grep -A 10 test-redo
./GNUmakefile:test-redo:
./GNUmakefile-  for a in `cat $(RESULT_DIR)/changed.txt` ; do \
./GNUmakefile-          echo removing $$a* ; \
./GNUmakefile-          rm -f $$a* ;\
./GNUmakefile-  done
./GNUmakefile-  $(MAKE) check

./scripts/build/out/output-distance seems to be the workhorse of the
regression tests. I cannot find any useful documentation of it with:

 find . -type f | xargs grep output-distance

except the source code itself.

But if I already have a known good result from the code tracker,
how do I compare it with the new result?

Regards,
/Karl