Re: newSpacingSection in the middle of a measure

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: newSpacingSection in the middle of a measure
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:36:41 +0100

On 16 May 2010 05:58, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is \newSpacingSection only supposed to be used at the
> beginning of measures?  If I use it in the middle of a
> measure, I get a huge gap that I can't seem to remove.

Probably, since it creates a new SpacingSpanner which must have a
NonMusicalPaperColumn for its left bound item.

As a workaround you could insert an empty barline and override the
spacing alist:

\version "2.13.22"

\layout {
  ragged-right = ##f
}

\relative c'' {
  c4 c c c |
  c4
  \bar ""
  \once \override Staff.BarLine #'(space-alist next-note) = #'(fixed-space . 0)
  \newSpacingSection
  c4 c
  \bar ""
  \once \override Staff.BarLine #'(space-alist next-note) = #'(fixed-space . 0)
  \newSpacingSection c |
  c4 c c c |
}

Cheers,