Re: GUB and mipsel architecture

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB and mipsel architecture
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 00:07:05 +0100

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 06:36:14PM -0400, Boris Shingarov wrote:

>>> I'm wondering if it is worth having a mipsel package on lilypond.org
>>> (when 2.14 comes out, maybe).
>>> I'd be happy to do it, if I can. A chance to help and learn something
>>> new.
>>
>> However, cross-compiling is a fairly involved process and requires
>> a great deal of technical knowledge.  Don't expect much help,
>> because very few people have any experience with it.
>
> The main question is, does anyone really want it done.

Federico Bruni, apparently.  :)   unless there's a stress on the
"really", in which case I'd guess that the answer is "nobody".

> So if one is about to do something with a real purpose (mipsel Lilypond
> appliance?? completeness of a distro??) I would expect many people with
> the right skills to be able to do it; on the other hand, as an academic
> exercise I personally would not find it the most attractive to jump on
> -- there are many other interesting problems to solve.

*shrug*

I totally agree that from a "learning about lilypond development"
exercise, just about anything would be more useful than working on
GUB.  But if Frederico is particularly interested in this project,
there's no harm in him trying it out -- as long as he knows that
he probably won't get any more help than I did in the previous
email ("try google" / "are there any missing headers" / etc).

I wish I could offer more help -- not because I think this
particular project is important, but just as a "fostering
curiosity" type of thing -- but unless I start investigating those
steps myself, I can't do anything else.