Re: bounties

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: bounties
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:39:32 +0200

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> There's a bunch of "ease-of-use" items that have a standard "50 euro
> or double an existing bounty" from Valentin.  Since I'm pretty certain
> he's in the worst financial situation of any lilypond developer, I
> personally would take this with a grain of salt.

Your guess may (or may not) be accurate; when I wrote that I certainly
wasn't expecting to ever have to double a €2000 fee :-)

Whilst giving away €50 is certainly not something I can afford several
times a week, I already donated that kind of money on several
occasions (I once even paid a LilyPond developer ten times that amount
for one single feature). Some developers prefer us to donate to
charities instead, and that's fine too -- as long as the LilyPond
project keeps moving forward on a big-picture level.

> There's a US$300 bounty for musicxml export, which is extremely low
> given the work involved.
>
> There's a EUR 400 bounty from Francisco and Valentin for a "better"
> editor for windows to replace lilypad.  It's not quite clear what
> people want to see that lilypondtool / Frescobaldi don't offer (other
> than "comes with GUB").  I'd be cautious about this offer as well,
> since it's not at all clear what they want, nor what we would be
> willing to accept in GUB.

That would probably be a cross-platform lightweight editor (I'd say, a
500Ko binary when statically compiled), probably based on Scintilla
and guile-gtk. It may even include a lightweight PDF-viewing component
based on Ghostscript (only if it doesn't add dependencies).
The whole point is to make it a part of the standard GUB LilyPond
distribution eventually, please do not rebut this just yet :-)
See http://wiki.lilynet.net/index.php/LilyPond_GUI

We should certainly extend and emphasize the bounty system. Some of
us, particularly in France, are working on this. Hopefully we'll have
good news in a few months.

Cheers,
Valentin.