Re: state of the release: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: state of the release: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:33:37 -0600

On 5/27/10 8:10 AM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
>> what are the top 3-5 things that make starting to contribute hard?
>
> For me [even though you didn't ask] it's the build system, which I spent over
> two days -- on two different occasions -- trying to get set up on my machine,
> to no avail.

Did you ever try LilyBuntu?  IIRC, you were trying to get it set up on your
Mac without success, and when Graham suggested you try LilyBuntu you were
too disgusted with the time you'd spent trying to get it going on your Mac
to try the LilyBuntu route.

My experience has been that getting the build system going on GNU/Linux
systems is, while not trivial, certainly much more reliable than on OS/X.
On OS/X, we're kind of on our own.  And on Windows, it's even worse.

But I thought that the LilyBuntu setup gave a Windows/Mac user a reasonable
approach to setting up a development environment.

Thanks,

Carl