Re: issue tracker: new labels?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: issue tracker: new labels?
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:12:27 +0100

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:55:57PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Now that I'm able to modify the issue tracker, I wonder if there could be a
> few more labels added:

No.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but every new bug
person (including myself, I admit!) wants to start playing with
labels.  It just wastes everybody's time -- theirs in playing
around with them, and everybody else that participates in the
discussion about classifying them.

> This would make it easier for beginning developers like me to find things I
> can fix "easily" -- e.g., "Frog or below, no C++".

There's only 7 frog items that might be C++ or scheme-related --
the Defects and Enhancements.  That's a small enough list that
people can look through them manually.

It also takes a fairly advanced developer to be able to accurately
estimate whether something would need C++ or scheme, and how hard
the fix would be.  We don't have the resources to do that.

Besides, other than some increased interest in Critical issues, I
haven't seen any evidence that the priorities, types, or really
any label at all, influences developer effort.  There's many
reasons for this, some of them quite compelling, but that's a
separate discussion.