Re: status of regtest doc'ing

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: status of regtest doc'ing
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:16:27 +0100

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:36:29PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > What's the overall status of
> > http://wiki.lilynet.net/index.php/Regtests
>
> It's active-whenever-I-have-time-to-work-on-it. Which means, it's
> likely to be completed before the end of the month but unlikely for
> the next week or so.

Hmm.

> > In particular, how much of the regtests have you gone through?
>
> About half, I'd say.

Well, could Kieren pick up where you left off?  He probably knows
the docs as well as you do, and he's certainly familiar with
Internals, the snippets, and the main manuals.

> > Which items (if any) can be added to LSR
> > (Phil Holmes seems to be good at this), and which items (if any)
> > should be added to Documentation/snippets/new/  (which I think James
> > Lowe will handle) ?
>
> That is out of my hands.

Well, somebody needs to be in charge of that side.  Does anybody
want to volunteer for this?

(I think this should be a GDP-trained person though, not a fresh
new doc helper)

> I suppose most items can safely be LSRized, and are not
> new features but old features that haven't been documented when they
> were added (the LilyPond project was probably a bit sloppier wrt
> documentation back then, pre-GDP times and all).

I'd rather that we didn't try to explain the Dynamics context in a
snippet (for example).  If something should be in Notation, adding
it as a snippet now only postpones that job, and/or lets it get
lost in the shuffle of snippets.

> > I don't want to organize this stuff myself.
>
> The point is to make you not having to.

Well, currently have have Phil twiddling his thumbs, and Kieren
offering to help but not knowing what to do.  If they don't get
organized, we'll waste good offers of help.

Having somebody else handle the minute scouring-through-regtests
could free your time up to handle the overall organization.
- somebody needs to look through regtests
- somebody needs to decide what goes to LSR, what goes to
  Documentation/snippets/new/, and what goes in Notation.
- somebody needs to add stuff to LSR.  (Phil's been doing a great
  job of this)
- somebody needs to add stuff to D/s/n.
- somebody needs to write English+ly examples to explain stuff
  that will go in Notation.
- somebody needs to add stuff to Notation (i.e. make the actual
  patches)
- somebody needs to make sure all these jobs are covered, train
  any volunteers that need training, etc.

It doesn't make sense to ask everybody to wait around while you
work on the first item if that could be handled by somebody else.