Re: Regression tests

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Regression tests
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 07:29:03 -0600

On 6/6/10 5:19 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:23:19PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>
> Which one?  I believe we now have at least two such sections.  We
> should, of course, eliminate all but one, and then have @refs to
> that one.

I'm moving all of the detail out of 3.6.3 Post-compilation options into 8
Regression tests.  3.6.3 will be renamed to Testing LilyPond installation,
and basically says "Run make test.  If it completes without errors, LilyPond
is successfully installed.  You can learn more about testing in the
documentation."  (I can't put a link here, because this is part of the
COMPILING file).

The section in CG 9 already points to CG 8.

I've reordered CG 8.  Tentative organization is:

Introduction to regression tests
Precompiled regression tests
    Regression test output
    Regression test comparison
Compiling  regression tests
Identifying code regressions
Other tests
    Checking memory usage
    Checking code coverage
MusicXML tests

I haven't yet figured out where the information on what you need to do after
modifying fonts should go.  My recent experience has shown me that you don't
need to do a make clean after modifying fonts.  It's sufficient to do rm
mf/out/*; that triggers a font rebuild.

I also haven't yet decided where to put the whole "Typical developer's
edit/compile/test cycle" node.  I'm currently thinking that there should be
a section in the CG on "The LilyPond build system", but I haven't worked
that out fully yet.  But since you got me started, here's my initial draft:

The LilyPond build system
    Intro to build system
    Make
    Auxiliary scripts
    GUB

3.10 would go away under this organization.

Of course, as this is a major reorganization of the docs, I'll post a patch
on Rietveld before committing.

Thanks,

Carl