fill-line spec and (center-/right-)column alignment [was: PATCH: issue 1

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: fill-line spec and (center-/right-)column alignment [was: PATCH: issue 1116 (fill-line regression 2.13.11 to 2.13.12+)]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 00:28:43 +0200

[ Reordering the topics according to general interest. ]

On 2010-06-14 23:14, Neil Puttock wrote:
On 14 June 2010 21:47, Alexander Kobel<address@hidden>  wrote:
On the other hand, I don't quite get why word-space = 1 is necessary. If
there's no space left, the user has trouble anyway, and I don't see why an
arbitrary minimum space should help.  And this should be the reason for the
shift, IIUC.  Seems like an ugly hack to me, but probably there's some
reason?

I don't know why that's there; the default is set in
ly/paper-defaults-init.ly to 0.6.

Uh-oh, so that's another occurence of defaults set in different places to different values (in define-markup-commands.scm, and thus the NR, it's 1)... I can hear David's screams... ;-)

Anybody knows if we can remove the minimum space? IMHO, this will make the code cleaner without causing unexpected trouble on the user side. Checking the NR A.8.2, \fill-line is the only markup command to mention a separate default for word-space, and the description of \fill-line says nothing about it's meaning. Looks to me like it was copied from \line, and been forgotten afterwards.

I wonder whether we should just add his suggestion
[Reinhold: <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=732>]
for translating the stencil
returned by \center-column onto its left edge (which would simplify
your \fill-line fix.)

If we do, we should probably "normalize" all stacked stencils (read:
right-column, too) in the same manner.  Which would make sense to me, since
it's a consistent behaviour, but I suspect this to be incompatible with the
current design.  And one might require to write \right-align \right-column
to get the (current?) extent ((- width) . 0), which looks clumsy from the
typical user's POV.

Hmm, I hadn't considered that, though I wonder if anybody uses \right-column.

Definitely, at least in the composer field (though it should not matter there, since this one gets nested in a fill-line anyway), but probably also for instrument names or a whole bunch of little tweaks and markups. Googling on the LSR gives about 40 hits for center-column and right-column, and of course there's thousands of hits on the whole web. It seems very hard to tell in advance how many of those will be affected by a change in the extent.

Some of the indentation in \fill-line is incorrect (e.g., for the
definition of fill-space), so you're probably improving it. :)

Ah, this might well be why it does not make too much sense to me right now.
So, usually the Emacs default is okay for Scheme code, too? The CG only says that GNU style is used for C++, but nothing about Scheme.

Another question: What does "mol" stand for in the markup definitions [...]
It's short for "molecule" [...]

Ok, thanks.

Sorry, I meant the regression tests run fine (with `make check'); no
test snippets appear broken.

Perfect.  Thanks, too.

Cheers,
Alexander