Re: How to develop Emacs mode?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to develop Emacs mode?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:15:34 +0200

Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 19 juin 2010 à 14:23, David Kastrup a écrit :
>
>> It would appear that you work on MacOSX or so.  Can you check whether
>> some variation of the Midi test code using make-serial-process I posted
>> recently could be made to work on your setup?  If it did, this would be
>> much preferable to having to use external applications like rumor.
>
> My machine does not have a serial port,

Neither has mine.  I just use make-serial-process's ability to actually
work with any character device for attaching it to a midi port.  The
actual Midi connection happens to be a USB Midi converter.

> and I don't have a midi keyboard anymore.

It should work with any application providing a midi device.  For
example, under GNU/Linux you'll find virtual Midi keyboards which
deliver Midi events for mouse clicks on the screen image of a piano
keyboard.

If you could find anything like that for MacOSX, it should be fine for
testing.  But of course, if you would not make use of that functionality
yourself, you can just wait until somebody else using MacOSX provides
relevant feedback with regard to that particular item.

It is not like you don't have anything else to do...

Oh, by the way.  I have a 49-key USB Midi master keyboard (M-Audio eKeys
49) sitting around here, standard-compliant (just Plug&Play with Linux)
and of rather low weight (something like 3kg or so) and moderate size
(49 keys are 49 keys, but there is not much else).  If you port the
stuff I am planning to do over to the MacOSX side and seriously test
what makes and what does not make it work well for you for a while, it's
yours.  You have to provide your own stand or table for it, though.