Re: How to develop Emacs mode?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: How to develop Emacs mode?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:17:24 +0100

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 12:00 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> From: Laura Conrad <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: How to develop Emacs mode?
> To: Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden>
> Cc: David Kastrup <address@hidden>, address@hidden

>     Nicolas> Several years ago, I used a midi keyboard to enter the
> notes: one hand
>     Nicolas> on the midi keyboard, and one hand on the computer
> keyboard, to set
>     Nicolas> durations, because I'm a lame keyboard player.  But it
> turned out that
>     Nicolas> (in my case) that method was not quicker (or practical)
> than full computer
>     Nicolas> keyboard entry.
>
> I do use that method still.  I find it's not a lot quicker,
FWIW:

What *is* a lot quicker is "playing in" the rhythm of the piece using
the computer keyboard and then playing the notes over the top, using the
MIDI keyboard. You get to leverage your sight-reading ability, and can
enter music in the time it takes you to play it thru twice. This is
*not* trying to guess the rhythm from your timing, but entering the
rhythm via the LilyPond names 0, 1, 1., 2, 2. etc which appear as a kind
of drum track. So you can slow down a bit if it gets too quick, but you
can follow the music because you naturally enter the durations
rhythmically as you read the music.
Of course, you need Denemo to do this:)
In the upcoming version 0.8.18 this will be possible out-of-the-box,
without setting any modes and so on.

I realize this won't be much use to those with a lot of skills built up
using other entry methods, but there are always newcomers.

Richard Shann