Re: Quickstart guide

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quickstart guide
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:13:24 +0100

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:56:02PM +0200, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 05:37 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
> > I think I understand what you mean now, however...
>
> Well, to be clear: I mean that when you install Lilypond on Windows, it
> should create a menu item (and optionally, a desktop icon) that would
> load the aforesaid (HTML) quickstart guide when you click on it.

Ok.

> Similar for Mac OS.

OSX doesn't do desktop icons, and had no real system of menu
items.  I suppose we could pollute the Dock with such an icon, but
the Dock just isn't used that way for most osx apps.

> It was a response to David K.'s remark about the experience of having
> people install Lilypond and then come back with remarks like, 'Where is
> it, then??':
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-06/msg00377.html

Those complaints are being ignored until we've had the new website
up for a while.  If, after 6 months of the new website, we still
have people confused about it, I'll consider the matter again.

> > ... "Packaging it up" is extremely difficult.
>
> I'm not familiar with Windows or Mac development or installers -- is it
> genuinely difficult to have the installation program create a menu item
> or desktop icon which simply points to a locally-stored HTML file? :-(

It is genuinely difficult to alter our installation program, and
thus also genuinely difficult to make it add more desktop icons.
If you don't believe me, try getting GUB up and running.